LANGUAGE

Font
S
M
L
Back
WH
BL
YW
BK

3-2-2-3The Hiroshima Carp Debut

(Left) Ceremony establishing the Hiroshima Carp conducted in January 1950 at the Western Drill Ground Courtesy of The Chugoku Shimbun
(Right) The Hiroshima Municipal Baseball Stadium opened in 1957
Photo by Yuichiro Sasaki Courtesy of Yugo Shioura

The Carp, Hiroshima’s professional baseball team, was established in 1949. With no controlling parent company, it was a community team financed by the city and local companies. Unable to attain stable financial footing, the team foundered and was continually rescued by donations from enthusiastic sports fans. In 1958, a municipal baseball stadium equipped with lights for night games was constructed in Moto-machi, again with donations from citizens and the business community.