|1945||August 6||An atomic bomb detonates at approximately 600 meters over downtown Hiroshima. Severely devastated, Hiroshima became the world’s first city to be attacked by an A-bomb.|
|1949||August 6||The Hiroshima Peace Memorial City Construction Law is promulgated after receiving over 90 percent support in Japan's first public referendum.|
|September||The A-bomb Reference Material Display Room (A-bomb Memorial Hall) is established in the Hiroshima Central Public Hall. This is the first public display of atomic bomb materials.|
|1952||March||It is decided that, under the Hiroshima Peace Memorial City Construction Law, the Peace Memorial Hall, Peace Memorial Museum, City Auditorium, and the Cenotaph for the A-bomb Victims will be constructed in Peace Memorial Park as reminders of the past and contributions to a future of lasting peace.|
|1955||The Peace Memorial Hall and the Peace Memorial Museum open.
The volunteer citizen group A-bomb Materials Collection Support Association (now, A-bomb Materials Preservation Association) leads an effort that involves many Hiroshima residents in the gathering of materials related to the atomic bombing.
|1958||The Hiroshima Restoration Exposition is held in and around the Peace Memorial Museum.|
|1975||In order to repair the aging structure and keep the materials from deterioration, the first large-scale renovation occurs and the exhibits are redesigned.|
|1991||August||A second renovation occurs and a large-sized model and big-screen videos are installed.|
Peace Memorial Hall is renovated to improve its functions of display and storage, and to provide more space for peace education. After its renovation, the Peace Memorial Hall reopens as the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum (East Building).
|2006||July||The Main Building was designated as the first national important cultural properties among the architectural buildings which were constructed after World War II.|
|2012||November||The Schmoe House opens as an annex of the Museum at 1-2-43 Eba-nihommatsu, Naka-ku, Hiroshima City.|
|2014||March||Renovations to the East Building and Main Building are launched.|
The East Building reopens after the renovation and the Main Building is temporarily closed.
■The East Building comprises three exhibitions: “Introductory Exhibit,” “The Dangers of Nuclear Weapons,” and “Hiroshima History”.
The Main Building under construction
Photo by Yuichiro Sasaki, Courtesy of Yugo Shioura
Inside the Museum in the early days
Collection of Shogo Nagaoka